November 27, 2016

MAKING THE BEST OUT OF GIFTED FABRIC

Hello Everyone,

For the past three years, I've been blocking out the months October thru December to sew for MYSELF.  I don't get to sew for myself as much as I would like to because I do a lot of custom sewing and I'm also a sewing instructor, and I work a full time job, so my time is limited to sew for myself.  

I'm a member of a Neighborhood Sewing Group where we meet once a month to discuss sewing projects, participate in sewing challenges and also give back to the Community. One of our members was moving to Orlando, Florida; at the last meeting that she would be able to attend she bought to the meeting a lot of her winter fabrics that she would not have a use for living in Florida. We were able to take what we wanted for FREE.  I grabbed a few wool pieces of fabric and a beautiful piece of yellow fleece.  I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I had no doubt I would find something to make with it.

As I searched through my patterns, I found McCall's 6444, I made View B, it was the perfect pattern.  I love wearing thick jackets during the winter months with leggins and jeans.



As I was putting the pockets onto the jacket, the instructions said to place the opening of the pocket to the side, I didn't think anything about it because I thought it was a unique way to put my hand in the pockets but as I looked at the pictures on the outside of the pattern envelope, the pocket opening was at the top.







Once I realized the instructions were incorrect, I had to take the pockets off the jacket and place them correctly on the jacket.  Once I did that, the jacket came together very quickly.  

I serged the inside seams of the jacket with a multi-color yellow serger thread.

The outside edges of the jacket were to have a 5/8 inch narrow hem, I decided to serge the edges and leave them because of the multi-color serger thread. 


I really like how this jacket turned out.  I can't wait to wear it.




Thanks for visiting my blog.




No comments: