February 23, 2016

MOTHER TO BE DRESS

Hello Sewing Family,

A few weeks ago I received a telephone call from a friend whom I made a dress for her Birthday Celebration.  She wanted to know if I would make a dress her niece for her baby shower, of course I said "yes".

We took a trip to Hancock's Fabrics to look through maternity patterns and to pick out fabric.  For the fabric, she picked out a beautiful red ponte knit.  It had a beautiful feel and weight to it.

BODICE OF DRESS:

We found Simplicity Pattern 1468 for the top of the dress, I used View B because she wanted long sleeves.

ADJUSTMENTS:
I basted the top of the dress together and I had her come over for a fitting.  We made minor adjustments, such as, making it crisscross in the front a little deeper so she could show a little cleavage (her suggestion), and we made the side seams a little tighter for a closer fit.

She also wanted the left front the of bodice to go under the right breast.



BOTTOM OF DRESS:

My initial thought was to use the bottom of a dress pattern but instead I decided to "drape" the fabric around her stomach.  The fabric was 60"wide so it was more than enough to go around her stomach.

I made gathers at the waist of the skirt and added a left front slit.  I gathered the waist of the skirt to fit the bodice.





She looked beautiful in the dress.  Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of her wearing the dress at this time because she was not camera ready, but she did promise me that she would take pictures at the baby shower and send them to me.  So pictures of her in the dress will be posted soon.




No comments: