May 25, 2015


Good Evening Sewers, it's been a long time since I've blogged but not a long time from sewing.  I've had knee surgery and now I found out that I have a pinched nerve in my neck which is causing pain in my right arm and right hand.  Of course I'm right handed, it's very painful at times.  The doctors told me to take some time off from sewing, but I couldn't do that since I've already taken the deposits for two prom dresses.  I worked through the pain and it was very challenging at times, but I GOT IT DONE!!!!

This young lady was referred to me by a fellow sewer.  I like and appreciate referrals.  When this young came to me to make her prom dress, she had a sketch like ALL of my prom girls.  I'm very particular about what kind of prom dresses I make.  I DO NOT like to make prom dresses that reveal a lot of skin because that's my name that's attached to the dress.  So when this young lady showed me her sketch, I tried to find a diplomatic way to tell her I thought the dress was revealing and showing too much.  She wanted a deep V-shape in the front and cut-outs on the side and the back.  During the muslin fitting, I was able to talk her out of the deep V-shape in the front by telling her I thought the dress was classy WITHOUT the deep V-shape in the front of the dress.  Her mother agreed.

Here is her sketch:


I used Butterick Pattern 5182 View A (the one in the middle)

This is the final version from her sketch and View A


If you're wondering how made the dress from the pattern I used, I omitted the shear part of the dress. I first did a muslin, we made the adjustments on the muslin by taking in the side seams to give her the fit she wanted and I drew the cut-outs on the muslin. Instead of having a bodice and a bottom, I marked on the muslin to keep it as  one piece.  Her mother bought a string of crystals to outline the cutouts.

Post a Comment