January 25, 2020

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! COATS, VEST, TOP AND SKIRT

Happy New Year! I know we are just about through the month of January but this is the first opportunity I've had to create this blog post. I stopped making resolutions years ago. I'm going into 2020 with goals to accomplish for my sewing business and some personal things as well.

One of my goals is to blog more this year, In 2019 I let A LOT of content go without blogging about it and it was a busy year for me.  I was teaching sewing classes in my home, the classes grew so much I had to move my classes out of my home and into a sewing studio where I rent space to teach my sewing classes.  I taught A LOT of private group sewing classes as well.

Another one of my goals is to replace my Ready to Wear (RTW) clothes with clothes that I make. For every garment I make, I will remove a RTW garment from my closet. The goal is to eventually have 90% of the clothes in my closet what I made myself.  For example if I make a skirt, I will remove a RTW skirt from my closet. I did remove a few things from my closet in 2019 and I donated them.

Moving forward my blog will not only be about sewing it will be about all of the creative things I do from sewing, cooking, gardening and teaching sewing classes, my blog name says it all "LaToriaSewCreative".  LOL!!!

Now onto my first makes for 2020. I had a 3 month nice long break from teaching my sewing classes, so I decided to make myself as few things before prom season starts.  I didn't make as much as I wanted to but this is a start.

I made 2 coats (as the pattern calls it) and a vest from Simplicity 8265 it's very easy and quick to make.  You can dress them up or down as you will see in my pictures. This tan knit fabric was given to me by a young lady in my Church, it was her mother's fabric.  I can't wait to wear it to Church so she can see what I made from it.


I paired this coat with two different skirts, I love both looks. The black skirt was made from Simplicity 1072. The patterned skirt is a pencil skirt I made last year that was made from my body measurements.  I also made the tank from Vogue 8138, this is my go to top when I want to make something quick.


This is what the top and skirts look like without the jacket. 


This coat was made from fabric from my stash. I made this coat with the slit on the sides which is View E. I paired it with the tank top I made and a pair of leggings I made a few years ago.

This coat has a back seam, for this particular one, because of the print I laid the back pattern piece on the fold so it could be one piece.  It turned out really nice.


This is what the top and leggings look like without the coat.



The last one I made was a vest, I purchased the knit fabric from Joann's Fabric, I removed some of the fabric from the back seam because I wanted a more fitted look with this vest and I shortened the hem by 4 1/2 inches.  I love the color red, I paired it with a striped dress I made last year.



 I also paired it with a pair of RTW skinny jeans. I can see myself rocking this a lot on the weekends.


I hope you enjoyed reading about my first makes in 2020.

Thanks for stopping by!!!


Your talent is God's gift to you.  What you do with it is your gift back to God.  
                                                                                                       Leo Buscaglia


No comments: